Monday, September 26, 2011

ARC Review: The Royal Scam by Gini Koch


Title: The Royal Scam 
Author: Gini Koch 
Genre: Science Fiction 
Series: The Martian Alliance 1 
Publisher: Musa Publishing 
Number of Pages- EBook, 8100 words 
Source: Sent to me by the publisher to read
Release date: October 1, 2001



Things aren’t what they seem to be when Princess Olivia of Andromeda jumps aboard a spaceship to escape a loveless marriage. Join the crew of the Hummingbird as they take on the rich, famous and sleazy of the galaxy. They're also on a long-term secret mission, so it's a good thing they're the best con artists, spacers, and roughnecks in the Milky Way, because they need all their skills to pull off this particular Royal Scam. (musa publishing's site.)

I owe Gini Koch a debt of gratitude. Before I read her Kitty Katt Series I really did like books with aliens in them all that much. Martini and gang changed all that,  and I've been happily reading sci fi romance books ever since I read Touched By An Alien. When I heard that she had a new series coming out, I knew I had to read it. Now onto the review...

Gini Koch has done it again. She has created another series that I fell in love with with the Martian Chronicles.  She has created a world filled with rich characters and non stop action. Make no mistake-this novella is very different then the Kitty Katt series, while the humor is there that it where the similarities of the two series end. This novella  is much more geared to the science fiction fan-but there was just enough of a romance in it to make the romance reader in me happy.


For such a fast read, I was able to get a good grasp of all the characters and I really loved the crew of the Hummingbird. There were a few surprises that came along that I should've seen coming but didn't, and I just love it when that happens. I was afraid that this would be to sci fi in nature, but once again  my fears were for nothing, because the world created is explained in a way which didn't leave me frustrated.   The only problem I had with this novella was that I wanted more. I loved the captain of the ship and his relationship with a certain crew member.  This was just a fun entertaining read that I had read in under an hour. 

If you've been like me, afraid to give Science Fiction a try, then I highly recommend you give this book a try~you can't go wrong with a book by Gini Koch.
 

I wanted to add that Musa Publishing opens for business on October 1st, so be sure to check out their new site and see what other great titles they have available.