Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Review: Rogue by Rachel Vincent



Title: Rogue
Author: Rachel Vincent
Series: Shifters #2 
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Publisher: Mira
Number of Pages: 394
Source: My Own copy




 Okay, so cats don't always land on their feet. I know that better than most. Since rejoining the Pride, I ve made big decisions and even bigger mistakes: the kind paid for with innocent lives. As the first and only female enforcer, I have plenty to prove to my father, the Pride, and myself. And with murdered toms turning up in our territory, I m working harder than ever, though I always find the energy for a little after-hours recreation with Marc, my partner both on- and off-duty.But not all of my mistakes are behind me. We're beginning to suspect that the dead are connected to a rash of missing human women and that they can all be laid at my feet--two or four, take your pick. And one horrible indiscretion may yet cost me more than I can bear.. (goodreads.com)



My feelings about this book are all over the place. The first half of this book moved really fast-it starts off with Faythe and Marc chasing after a Stray and doesn't slow down till they get back to the Ranch in Texas that is home of the pride pack that they belong to. I'm not sure why, but the middle of the book was really slow for me. I think it was because the politics of the pack bored me a bit, and  I kept forgetting how young Faythe was. (23) The stupidity of her actions-like keeping phone calls from her ex boyfriend secret from her current boyfriend just made me shake my head.  However, the book really picks up again at the end of the book, and I was left liking Faythe a lot more and I can't wait to see what happens to her next.  


While Faythe may have annoyed me a little (ok a lot) I loved Marc. In the first book I was all about Jace (the other love interest for Faythe) but in this one I couldn't remember why I liked Jace more!  Marc is just so tortured in this one with his love for Faythe. He knows what he wants, and wants a commitment from Faythe, but Faythe knows she's not really ready for that yet. Another thing I loved was Faythe's brothers. They had me laughing out loud so many times. I also really liked how Faythe's parents were involved in the storyline. In so many books the heroine is without a family, so this was a nice change of pace.

 
They mystery of the strays and who was killing them was interesting and I have to admit that even though I figured out who was behind them before Faythe did, it was still fun watching her figure it out.  The ending really surprised me, and I can't wait to see what trouble Faythe gets into next and seeing her grow up a little more. All in all this series is really growing on me and I can see why so many people love it. 

Curran Crush Meter: High 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Medium 
Ethan/Merit Sizzle Meter: Medium 
Martini Sigh Meter: Low (Marc's a tell him like he sees it kind of guy) 
Finn Sidekick Meter: High