Saturday, August 20, 2011

Review: No Mercy by Sherrilyn Kenyon



Title: No Mercy 
Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon 
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Dark Hunter #19, Were-Hunter #6
Publisher: St Martins Press
Number of Pages: 343
Source: Library







 Live fast, fight hard and if you have to die then take as many of your enemies with you as you can. That is the Amazon credo and it was one Samia lived and died by. Now in contemporary New Orleans, the immortal Amazon warrior is about to learn that there’s a worse evil coming to slaughter mankind than she’s ever faced before.Shapeshifter Dev Peltier has stood guard at the front of Sanctuary for almost two hundred years and in that time, he’s seen it all. Or so he thought. Now their enemies have discovered a new source of power- one that makes a mockery of anything faced to date.The war is on and Dev and Sam are guarding ground zero. But in order to win, they will have to break the most cardinal of all rules and pray it doesn’t unravel the universe as we know it. (goodreads)



One of my  Brothers In Law has a favorite saying before he hits you with something negative: "I'm not goinna lie..." This saying fits here perfectly: I'm not gonna lie: No Mercy  was flat out disappointing. I was really looking forward to Dev's story because I loved him so much in Bad Moon Rising.  I felt like this book was just a filler for Nick's eventual Dark Hunter book-and there wasn't that much development there.

The storyline of this book  bothered me so much, mainly because I felt like I should have loved it. Samia and Dev have all of the qualities I normally like in a hero and heroine, but I couldn't connect to them at all. I felt like the book concentrated on so many other sub plots that the romance got lost a bit until the end.

I felt like all the trouble that Dev and Samia got themselves into was mainly there own fault and had a hard time feeling any sympathy for them. I think part of my problem with this book was that there wasn't a whole lot of Acheron, and Simi wasn't in it at all.-or if she was it was so brief that I've already forgotten she was in it. I did enjoy seeing Fang, Thorn, Savitar (Love him!!) and liked seeing a few new Dark Hunters, but the banter between the characters, which I normally love fell flat for me because the dialogue was just so cheesy.

pg, 235: Over and over again she saw Dev dead. It was so clear. So torturous. What would she do if he went down? Would she be able to survive it?

At this line I put the book down, because the chick is supposed to be an Amazon. Tough as nails, and here she is worrying about what might happen in the battle to come? Ok, it makes a little sense, it just really annoyed me for some reason.

 pg 236 when they were talking about her being in incorporeal form (long story) Dev: We can look on the bright side of things. Sam: I don't have to look for a parking spot in New Orleans."...then I was referring to the lack of Damion attention. It's actually quiet for once. Sam wasn't willing to concede that to him. "yeah, that would be a big bonus if I could have sex with you. His brows shot up in surprise. "Now who's being a horn dog?

Yes, horn dog was used-& used quite a bit. I know it was supposed to be playful banter, but after so many eye rolling lines in a roll it was a bit much.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that this book felt rushed. I felt like there should have been more of Dev's family in this one, and more of Sanctuary-which was barely included in this book. I almost forgot-the ending just felt weird and awkward to me, and I so don't like where things are headed with Nick. Am I alone in this?

Despite the fact that this was my least favorite of all the dark hunter books I'm in this series for the long haul, (after 19 books how could you not be?) and will keep reading no matter how many cheesy lines these books continue to have or how many product placements get slipped in. I lost track of how many times apple products were mentioned in this book.  It's always sad to see a book in a much loved series fall a notch. Maybe I was just expecting too much?

Others who loved it more:

Book Chick City
Smexy Books
Ramblings of A Book Bitch



Curran Crush Meter: Low 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Medium 
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: Low
Sidekick Meter: Low..because really Fang was the only one featured