Saturday, July 16, 2011

Review: The Paris Secret by Angela Henry



Title: The Paris Secret
Author: Angela Henry 
Genre: Romantic Suspense 
Publisher: Carina Press
Number of Pages: E Book
Source: Netgalley





Less than twenty-four hours after fleeing to Paris, Maya Sinclair is the prime suspect in a brutal murder—and targeted by the real killer. When she's viciously attacked in the gardens of Versailles, Maya barely escapes with her life thanks to sexy French journalist Simon Girard. Simon has been investigating the mysterious death of his brother, an art forger with ties to the woman Maya is suspected of killing. Still healing from heartbreak of his own, Simon reluctantly joins forces with Maya, who has awakened feelings within him he thought long dead.Their search for answers uncovers the existence of a secret society, and puts them on a quest to find a missing crucifix rumored to hold the key to everlasting life. Together, Maya and Simon race through Paris one step ahead of a killer who will do anything to ensure some secrets remain buried forever... (goodreads)

I'm ashamed to say how long I've had this waiting for me to read in my kindle since I've downloaded it from netgalley. Let's just say it waited there much too long, because once I started reading this I couldn't stop. I normally have trouble with Romantic Suspense novels, but not this one. I mean what's not to love about Paris, a mysterious secret society and murder?


I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a romantic suspense novel so much! There are just so many things that drew me into this book. There was the setting: Paris-while I was reading the book I felt like I was experiencing it with Maya.   There were so many twists and turns in this book that I never knew who was coming after the heroine next-I loved it.

Maya is one tough cookie. She might be down and out in Paris and have someone framing her for murder-but she's not going to let it stop her from clearing her name and maybe, just maybe finding some romance. Speaking of romance, Simon was a really fun character. I loved how he tried to be all controlling and Maya would have none of it-she would listen to his suggestions, but if she didn't like it she would follow her instincts. I loved the banter between Simon and Maya and for me there was just the right amount of romance mixed in with the mystery at hand. This is one of the few inter-racial romances that I've read and  it makes me wonder why I haven't read more of them.

The only real fault I had with The Paris Secret was that I really enjoyed some of the secondary characters that Maya meets on her tour and would have liked to see more of them-they kind of disappeared and reappeared out of nowhere-but I have a feeling that might be how romantic suspense novels flow with secondary characters. Despite that though, this was just a fun read that made me want to read more of this genre!


Curran Crush Meter: Medium 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Low (sorry Simon. I have a hard time w/Rom-Suspense heroes)
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: High 
Ethan/Merit Sizzle Meter: Medium 
Finn Sidekick Meter: Medium
Martini Sigh Meter: Medium