Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Review: Kitty & The Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn



Title: Kitty and The Midnight Hour
Author: Carrie Vaughn
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series: Kitty Norville #1 
Publisher: Warner
Number of Pages: 259 
Source: Library




 

Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station - and a werewolf in the closet. Her new late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged is a raging success, but it's Kitty who can use some help. With one sexy werewolf-hunter and a few homicidal undead on her tail, Kitty may have bitten off more than she can chew? (goodreads.com)


I loved this book, and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I began it on a weekend where nothing was going right. My TV kept dying on me, my head was pounding and I just wanted to cry. Instead of crying I picked up Kitty & the Midnight Hour that I got from the library. Even with my horrible headache, I couldn't put this book down. I'm still not sure why I enjoyed it so much, except that I know want to own it and I can tell this series is going to be a comfort read series for me. I love finding new series to drool over!

Kitty Norville is a werewolf. She's been living a double life for awhile now, working as a DJ at a radio station and having her secret life as a werewolf.  One night on her radio show she gets a call about something paranormal, and before she knows it she realizes that she didn't play any music-she just talked with callers. Ratings were really good...however her pack isn't happy with her decision to talk about things paranormal. They are afraid that it will bring too much exposure to them.  Her pack had good reason to be worried, because one night she lets it slip that she is a werewolf. Throw in an assassin, a few murders, a frustrated detective, a rogue werewolf, an unhappy Master Vampire,  and an  crush-worthy guy who just happens to hunt werewolfs and vampires for a living and Kttty finds herself in one giant mess

Kitty is such an enjoyable heroine because she makes so many mistakes.  She's not the toughest wolf on the block, and she fights her werewolf nature..but is learning to make everything fit together, I liked how she wasn't an alpha, and that she was at the bottom of the pack. It was more realistic to me-and lets the reader see how the pack dynamics work. While the mystery of the story-who wanted Kitty dead and who was responsible for random murders in town  was pretty predictable I still enjoyed it & thought it made for great world building without going into information overload as so many first books in a series do.

This series has been around for awhile so I won't go into a lot more detail expect to say read it & fall in love with Kitty like I did. I'm almost glad I waited so long to read it, because now I don't have to wait for each book to come out & can read them all back to back. This is one  series that I have to own! (No meters because there wasn't a whole lot of romance in this one.)