Sunday, July 10, 2011

Review: Confessions Of A Call Center Gal by Lisa Lim


Title: Confessions Of A Call Center Gal 
Author: Lisa Lim 
Genre: Chick Lit 
Publisher: Giffin Press
Number of Pages: Ebook 
Source: Sent to me by the author to read










A fun chick lit romance that will appeal to fans of Sophie Kinsella and Marian Keyes. Bridget Jones meets The Office. Madison Lee is a fresh college grad, ready to take on the world of print media. But she has zero luck landing a job. Unemployment is at ten percent and on the rise. Desperate and left with no other options, she accepts a position as a service rep at a call center in Pocatello, Idaho. At the Lightning Speed call center in Spudsville, Maddy plunges into the wild and dysfunctional world of customer service where Sales is prided over Service and an eight hour shift is equivalent to eight hours of callers bashing her over the phone. Oh sure, the calls are bad. But Maddy manages to find humor on the phone and off the phone. And with all the salacious drama behind the calls, there is never a dull moment at the Lightning Speed call center. Lately . . . Maddy has been pining for her smolderingly gorgeous co-worker Mika Harket. Now things are heating up on the phone--and elsewhere. Don't hang up on this novel. Working at a call center has never been this garish . . . or this delightful (goodreads)



What I enjoyed most about this book was the call center aspect of the story. I worked in a call center doing tech support, and reading this book brought back so many memories. Lisa Lim really nailed what it was like working on the phones all day long. Customers are demanding, and the mute button becomes your best friend. 

There isn't much of a story outside the call center, and while the calls were entertaining and the relationships Maddy had with her co workers were great, I had a really hard time liking Maddy or her best friend. My biggest problem was I couldn't relate to either one, and the slang was really hard to take sometimes. I think if I had read this book right out of college, I would have really loved this novella. However, since I'm not right out of college it was hard for me to read. It was a really fast read, and I liked how the setting was really different from other chick lit books I've read.  


While I did have a hard time with Maddy, I have to admit that I laughed a lot during this book. The customers were just hilarious, and the supervisors were ones everyone has had-the good one, the evil one and the weird one that no one understands. If you are looking for something a bit different to read then give this a try.