Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Author Interview with Julie Anne Lindsey-Chatting With Buckeyes Series

Please help me welcome debut author, Julie Anne  Lindsey to A Buckeye Girl Reads!
Bio: Julie,  who in her own words is a: Mama, wife, author, reader, writer, blogger. Shamelessly addicted to YA, caffeine, social media & Poptarts. I've gotten to know Julie through Twitter and really can't wait to read her debut novella, Bloom



1. Can you tell me a little bit about your books coming out next year?
I have three books coming in 2012. That’s my life. One minute I hear crickets, the next minute there are fireworks near a crowd of babies and only I can save them.
In February 2012 my debut novella, a short sweet romance titled BLOOM will launch the new Honey Creek line at Turquoise Morning Press.Love Blossoms, my second sweet romance will follow in June-ish 2012.  In August 2012 the first in my new Killer Confections Saga will debut. The title to that is Death by Chocolate and it is not romance. It’s my personal take on the classic Cary Grant movie Arsenic & Old Lace.

2. Can you tell me about the Honey Creek Line of books coming from Turquoise Morning Press?
Oh, absolutely! The moment I read they were starting this line my heart swam. I am sooo Ohio. This was a perfect fit for me. Honey Creek books is a new line of fiction based on a small, be it fictitious, town in Ohio. The Honey Creek line is open to multiple genres, but the background details on Honey Creek –the town- are set. You’ll love small town Ohio and get to know the secondary characters as you find them threaded throughout line. In my novellas, you’ll get to watch couples fall in love, *swoon*but there will also be sexy stories, YAs and even mysteries in Honey Creek so keep your eyes out.

3. What inspired you to start writing? Who are some of your favorite writers?
Okay so this is sad and old, don’t judge. LOL.  I was up at like 3am nursing my third baby when Twilight came on Pay Per View. I was entranced. Then later I heard it was a novel, read it and happened to see an interview with Stephanie Meyer on Oprah. All I could think was, “I want to do that. I want to write a novel.” LOL. In hindsight #bigheadslap, but here and now, I’m glad I was inspired because I love writing and reading and blogging. Having this incredible outlet for my energy and meeting new friends everyday is amazing. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
My favorite writer is a wonderful and super tough question. I wish I would impress you with my grand intelligence and name one of the classics, or like Nietzsche or something, but that wouldn’t be me, and you’d probably know it, so in the interest of not being caught in a lie…I’d say  Janet Evanovich. Her Stephanie Plum novels are made of awesome. Purely wonderful. I love to laugh, and I laugh out loud with every new Evanovich story.

4. Do you have any tips for future writers?
Yes! Do not give up! If you have this dream or any dream in your heart, I strongly truly completely believe it is for a reason and it wouldn’t be there to cause you to falter. Pursue your dreams, take all the comments in stride and use them to pull your best out from inside. Don’t hold back and never-ever-never give up. If you have a writing related question, ask someone. There is an amazing online community of people who love the craft and want to help. Hey, ask me! I might know and if I know I will tell. I want to see more delicious books on shelves. I want to see this industry thrive. If it’s in your heart to write, seek after it with reckless abandon. No one else will do it for you.

5. Where we can find you on the web?
I tweet @JulieALindsey – like a lot lol
You can find me blogging at Musings from the Slush Pile where I talk about writing
I have an author website now (squee!!)  Julie Anne Lindsey
My Facebook Author page is Julie Anne Lindsey, Author
I stalk GoodReads all the time to see what’s new. ( I would die if I missed an awesome read). Definitely find me there too LOL J

Ohio Questions:

1. Where is your favorite place to go in Ohio?
I don’t know that I have one favorite place, but there are many areas a short distance from my house which are heavily populated by the Amish community. I love spending days in those areas. Buggies line the streets outside of shops, enormous amounts of children play in the fields. I buy the most excellent baby Swiss cheese and homemade fudge. Everything seems to move more slowly. The hurry isn’t there like it is everywhere else and we frequently pack a lunch and sit to watch and unwind. Then, of course, we hit the local ice cream parlor.

2. What would people be surprised to learn about Ohio? I think it’s super cool that depending where you live in Ohio, your accent changes. LOL. I’m from northeastern Ohio, Canton to be specific, home of the Football Hall of Fame! We don’t have an accent BUT if you travel an hour south…accent. Closer to Cincinnati and you’ll hear a Kentucky twang. A little to the east and you run into West Virginia’s coal miner drawl. Also, we get a bad rep as a fly over state and I say that’s a big loss because Ohio is flat out amazing. If you ever visit, look me up.

3. Do you have a favorite food or drink that is native to Ohio?
Do I ever! My family goes to get fresh maple syrup every year. We watch them tap the trees and learn about how it’s made then chow down to pancakes and syrup before heading home with a winter’s worth to keep. Ohio has AMAZING maple syrup.
We are also huge fans of the local apple orchards. We pick apples from nearby farms every fall. YUM.And for the grownups LOL Ohio has amazing icewine. It’s made from grapes allowed to freeze on the vines. Also Yumm-o! One more, if you love chocolate, you must try an Ohio confection: Buckeyes. Made to resemble our beloved buckeye, they are a sweet peanut butter ball dipped almost entirely in chocolate and cooled to perfection. It’s totally evil and I gain 10 pounds eating them every winter. LOL.

4. Do you have a favorite book/movie set in Ohio?
Okay, I’m a diehard Ohioan, but I haven’t read or seen anything based in Ohio that I recall other than my own stories of course LOL This is sad, but maybe I can put some on the map for us ;)

Thank you Julie, so much for coming today! If anyone has a question for her, please feel free to ask it. :)