Friday, May 13, 2011

Review: Kiss Me Kill Me: Anthology



Title: Kiss Me, Kill Me
Authors: Various 
Genre: Paranormal Fiction/Romance
Publisher: Self Published 
Number of pages: N/A E book 
Source: Sent to me by one of the authors to read




  
I think the neatest thing about this collection of stories is that the authors involved in the anthology are donating all proceeds to the charity Greater Good., which looks like a very cool organization.  Taken from their website:

"We're committed to making the world a better place by using simple online ways to protect the health and well-being of people, animals and the planet. GreaterGood.org™ partners with and funds leading nonprofit organizations around the world in order to alleviate poverty and hunger, promote peace, address cancer and other widespread health problems, foster literacy and provide education, preserve vital habitats in peril, and provide protection and care to vulnerable animals."

The thing I love about anthology's is that I always end up finding new authors to read. While I knew I would like Lori Brighton's story, I was surprised to find I also liked Cat Fight by Zoe Winters, Impulse Control by Susan Bischoff, and Blind Sight by Kait Nolan. Almost all of the stories in the book are continuations of different series that each author has, but all can be read as stand alones. It was really hard to review the stories in this book-mainly because I didn't want to give anything away in any of the short stories.  The stories I'm featuring are the ones I liked the best:


Cat Fight by Zoe Winters
Cat Fight takes place in Zoe Winters' "PretVerse". Greta is a cat therian (shifter). She's been involved with Dayne, a local sorcerer since she sought his protection from her murderous tribe. After a fight, Greta shifts into cat form and refuses to come back out. (goodreads.com) 


What I liked most about this book is that it gave me more of Greta and Dayne! I read about them in her novella Kept,  and was so happy to have more of them.  :)
 

Impulse Control by Susan Bischoff:
In the world of the Talent Chronicles, kids born with supernatural powers are taken from their families and forced into government research facilities called State Schools. At one such school, a group of Talents must work together to stop a dangerous experiment that's already killed two of their peers and threatens others. If they're caught they face Detention, and Detention at a State School has a whole different meaning.  (from goodreads.com)   


This short story made me want to read the rest of the series by Susan Bischoff. I thought the kids powers were pretty cool and it was just a different sort of paranormal story.

Wild Passion by Lori Brighton:
James is a treasure hunter intent on collecting a deadly, priceless statue. Then he meets Adelaide, a stubbornly beautiful and mysterious woman who knows more about the statue than she admits. Suddenly, James is tempted to give up everything for the one treasure he can't seem to own ... Adelaide.
(from goodreads.com)   
  
Wild Passion was of course my favorite novella in this book, and I just loved everything about it. Adelaide was such a great heroine, and she just wasn't going to put up with any crap from James.


Blind Sight by Kait Nolan:
Isla's ability as a Seer has made her a life-long captive of a paranormal crime lord. Fae assassin, Ransom, offers her a chance at escape, but when she touches his hand she sees only blood, horror, apocalypse. What reason can Ransom have for wanting to rescue her, and can she possibly trust a man who deals in death?
(from goodreads.com)   

This is another author I was unfamiliar with before I read this anthology and now I really want to read more by Kait Nolan! I liked how you really weren't sure where this was going, and the ending made me want more. :) 


This is just a short sampling of authors who are all self published who are in this wonderful anthology. Other authors in this are: 


H.P. Mallory 
M.T. Murphy
Toni LoTempio
Daniel Arenson
Stacey Wallace Benefiel