Thursday, March 17, 2011

Review: Legacy Jeanette Baker



Title: Legacy 
Author: Jeantte Baker 
Genre: Historical Fiction/Romance/contemporary romance
Publisher: Sourcebooks 
Release date: Republished, March 2011 
Number of pages: 384
Source: Sent to my by the publisher to read







The last of the Murrays...
Christina Murray is elated to inherit her family's ancestral home in Scotland. But upon her arrival she is confronted by her breathtakingly handsome new neighbor, Ian Douglas...and an ancient family curse that comes with the castle. 
A violent legacy of passion...
Seduced by Ian's easy Scottish charm by day, Christina dreams at night of three raven-haired beauties, ancestors who fell victim to the curse one generation after another: Katrine, the fiery Jacobite supporter who lost her heart to an Englishman; Jeanne, an accused witch; and Mairi, who shared a forbidden passion with the King of England.Now it's Christina's turn to lie in that cursed bed... and loving Ian might just cost her life. (from Amazon.com)


Legacy is a beautiful written story that travels from present day Scotland to the various times in the past.  This is one of those books that I just wanted to fall in love with, but just couldn't.

 Normally I can list a ton of reasons why a book didn't work for me, but not with this one. The first half of the book really captured my attention and I loved how it went back and forth from the present day to the past. Somewhere along the way though, both stories started to lose me and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't regain the feelings for the book that I had in the beginning.

One of the things I did like about this book was the heroine, Christina is older. She is 38 and is recovering from a painful divorce. It's such a rarity to have a heroine who is past the age of 35. The romance between her and Ian was sweet, and I found myself wanting more of that then the story happening in the past. I think that combined with the fact that I thought I knew where the story set in the past was headed is what made me not love the book as much as I wanted to.

While I lost patience with this book, it's one like Undertow I definitely want to give it another chance at another time.