Thursday, October 28, 2010

Review: The Wolf Next Door by Lydia Dare


Title: The Wolf Next Door 
Author: Lydia Dare
Genre: Historical Paranormal Romance
Series: Westfield Brothers #3





 
  


Rogue, Rake…Werewolf. Years ago on a full moon, Lord William Westfield gave way to his inner beast and nearly ruined young Prisca Hawthorne. Knowing he can never trust himself in the arms of the woman he loves, he throws himself into a debauched lifestyle. When Westfield discovers he has a rival for Prisca's love, he decides if she's going to marry a Lycan it damn well better be him. But time is running out as Prisca's other suitor takes an instant and potentially fatal dislike to Westfield (from goodreads)

I have such a love hate relationship with this series. I keep wanting each book to have the same magic that the first one in the series-A Certain Wolfish Charm did, and when they don't it's a struggle for me to get through them. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority when I say that while there were some parts of this book that I loved, there more parts of it that I didn't love.  

The first part of the book was wonderful. I loved the banter between Prisca and Will. I loved how Prisca kept Will on his toes and wouldn't forgive him right away for breaking her heart all those years ago. Will was equally great in trying to win her back to him after that misunderstanding. Both families kept me laughing with their antics in trying to help these two get together. 

Somewhere in the middle of the book though, , the banter got tiresome. I just wanted them to be together. Once they were together the banter continued, and I wondered why Prisca didn't just ask Will if the rumors about what happened that made her not like him were true. Prisca's other suitor, Daschiel came out of nowhere, and I wanted to like him, but just couldn't. When he tried to keep Prisca and Will apart it was just about the last straw for me. I know I'm in the minority when I say I just didn't care for Prisca or Will, and I really wanted to love them.

I think the real problem I had with this book was that I read it too close to the second,I think if I had read them at a more leisurely pace I would have enjoyed them more. I also feel like I should add that I read this while I was in my book funk stage, so that may have something to do with why I had mixed feelings about this book.

Curran Crush Meter: Low 
Sigh Meter: Low 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Medium 
Rhiannon Kick Ass heroine Meter: Low 
Ethan/Merit Sizzle Meter: Low