Monday, August 9, 2010

Review: Magic Strikes


Title: Magic Strikes
Author: Ilona Andrews
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Kate Daniels #3







This is the book where I totally understand  now why it's always Curran vs. Barrons on twitter. I don't think that I could choose between the two. I *heart* Curran so much after this book that I'm going to have to name a meter after him. I think that one of this books strongest points in the series are the secondary characters and how much more they make Kate open up to and rely on others-something she isn't used to doing.  This book had me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading it.

In this book Kate is still working for the Order of Merciful Aid-while the plot is driven by a case involving Derek, one of the few people who Kate calls a friend and who just happens to be a shape shifter. The search to find out who did this leads her to the Midnight Games, which one can only get to by invitation only, and is the paranormal worlds version of the Gladiator Games. Once she secures an invitation she fights on a team with Curran and the other shape shifters, and finds out that she can't be the only always in control and discovers what it's like to be a friend and have friends. I feel  like this book was much more about relationships and Kate growing as a person rather then solving the mystery of who was behind Derek's almost murder-and it's one of the reasons why I loved it so much.

I can't remember the last book I read where I was so emotionally involved in the storyline and the characters. This is one book where I can say that the evil characters have me cringing and the side characters made me love them all! I loved the friendship between Andrea/Kate and Andrea/Raphael. This book was just one big pile of goodness and I haven't even gotten to Curran yet.

Curran has everything I love in a hero. Tough, stubborn and just a tiny bit of sensitivity-but he doesn't let it show often, and only to certain people who have won his trust. I loved the tension between him and Kate.  Both of them are so stubborn that I may have shouted a couple of times to them: "Let your guard down already-you know you love each other!"

This book reminded me why I love Urban Fantasy so much-it just had a little bit of everything: mystery, intrigue, great world building and enough romance to keep you coming back for more. I still can't believe it took me so long to read this series!

Crush Meter: The Curran Crush Meter: Super High
Sigh Meter: Low (Currans not a sigh type of hero)
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Super High
Ethan/Meter Sizzle Meter: So High it was almost renamed the Curran/Kate Sizzle Meter
Sleep Meter: Low
Sidekick Meter: High- I just love all the secondary characters in this series!