Thursday, July 15, 2010

Review: Tidal Wave by Vivian Arend



Title: Tidal Wave
Author: VIvian Arend
Genre: Paranormal Erotica
Series: Forces of Nature, book one






 

This is an author I discovered through Twitter-Leontine from Leontine's Book Realm  Retweeted a request from the author saying she was looking for people to review her newest release, Whirl Pool, the second book in this series. When I read the blurb for book one, Tidal Wave I knew I had to read it. Here's the back of the book from Amazon:

Slippery when wet-
Forces of Nature, Book 1
From her first kiss to her first sight of dolphins dancing on the waves, Alexia Colten has always held a special place in her heart for Jaffrey's Cove. Now that she's back to help her grandmother settle into a home, she discovers this place has lost none of its remembered magic. In fact, it seems more magical than before-and more erotic.After she's gifted with a beautiful, dolphin-etched medallion, she finds herself surrounded by the golden boys of summers past. Her body is filled with longings she can't explain and dreams of blue lights that turn into lovers. Joshua Marley and his cousin Anthony are merfolk, a people capable of living beneath the waves as either dolphin or human. Alexia holds the medallion that marks her as the next in line to lead their people-if she can prove she can transform. Working in tandem, they're sure they can arouse her passion and protect her from those who would use her simply to gain power. But their strength alone may not be enough to help her face the challenge of her new position-Warning: This title contains a conniving granny, naked men in the surf and shifters who take fun in the water to new depths. Snorkels not required.

This novella is short-just 95 pages, but it has a little bit of everything-mystery, romance, and hawt love scenes. In a lot of novellas I've discovered that the storyline sometimes doesn't work because before you have a feel for the characters, the story is over. Not so with this novella. I immediately connected with both the heroine and heroes of the story. Alexia is just the type of heroine I like-strong, spunky, independent, but at the same time likable. She isn't one of those girls who goes "oh no, I just discovered that i can shapeshift, my life is over with." She handles the situation with style and grace. Joshua and Anthony are great-I liked both of them right away. They aren't your typical Alpha males, but I think that's what I liked best about them. They protected Alexia, but let her make her own decisions. The conniving Grams was probably my favorite character-she just had me laughing and reminded me of my own Grandma.  All in all this was a great short read that left me wanting a merfolk of my own! I can't wait to read the second book in this series, Whirlpool and other books by her!

You can check out an excerpt of the book here and buy it at Books & More.


Crush Meter: Medium
Sigh Meter: Medium
Ethan/Merit Sizzle Meter: High
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Medium
Sleep Meter: High (It can be read in one short sitting.)