Thursday, July 8, 2010

Review: Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison



Title: Dead Witch Walking
Author: Kim Harrison
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Rachel Morgan/The Hollows #1



 




In Dead Witch Walking, werewolves, vampires and witches are living out in the open ever since a deadly man made virus that was spread from tomatoes killed off most of the human population. Inderlanders as they are called are still not completely trusted or trust those around them. Rachel Morgan is a witch whose job as a  runner (think bounty hunter) for the Inderland Runner Services (I.S. for short) and catches supernatural beings for them makes her not trust anyone around her. She'd rather work alone then with a partner. She used to be one of the best runners in the hollows of Cincinnati , but has been down on her luck lately. Her latest job has her chasing after a leprechaun with a pixie for back up. That's when she knows she has to do something else. But no one walks away from their contract with the I.S. and lives to tell about it. After making a wish with a leprechaun, Rachel quits her job and joins with Jenks-the pixie who was her back up, and Ivy a Vampire and fellow runner. Rachel's boss blames her for Ivy-his best runner leaving with her and puts a death contract out on her. Suddenly Rachel is in over her head and doesn't know who she trust...especially when she keeps making enemies at every turn.

I'll be honest-I'm still not quite sure what to think about this book. It had a lot of action, and a tough but likable heroine, and sidekicks that I loved. (Jenks was just adorable.) However, there was so much going on that it was really hard keeping track of everyone and everything.  I know that Urban Fantasy books aren't really romances, but 276 pages is a lonnng time to wait before the guy is even introduced. While Nick (the love interest) didn't play a huge part in this book-something tells me he will in others. There is just something about him that I don't trust...but back to the action. I thought it was really cool  that Rachel could do transformation spells, but I swear there was time where she went from being a mink (yes, a mink) to a human and no explanation was given on how or where it happened, which was weird because a lot of time was given before she transformed that time about her wondering where she would transform back into a witch at.

Another question I had throughout the book was everyone could automatically tell who was human, a witch, a were, etc. I'm not sure how they were able to tell. Rachel was able to tell a lot of times because of Jenks the pixie, but how did she know the times when he wasn't there? See what I mean about me having a ton of questions about this book? I spent so much time going back looking for stuff I thought I missed that I almost gave up on the book. However, I'm glad I didn't, because I did end up enjoying it, and I've heard this series just gets better and better so I look forward to reading the rest of the books.

Crush Meter: Low-just because Nick was hardly in the first half of the book
Sigh Meter: Low
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Low
Action Meter: Super high!
Sidekick Meter: High
Sleep Meter: Medium
Ethan/Merit Sizzle Meter: Low