Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Movie Review: Goya's Ghosts


I rented Goyas Ghosts as apart of Heidenkinds Art History Challenge With this review I am now finished with this challenge-yay!  
I'll be honest-I had never heard of Goya before this movie. When I was looking for stuff to read/watch for this challenge, this one stood out because I had actually heard of someone in the movie-Natalie Portman, and it just looked interesting.

The movie takes place while Franscico Goya was the official court painter to King Charles IV of Spain. When his muse Innes, is taken prisoner for hearsay against the Catholic Church he seeks to free her with the help of inquisitor Brother Lorenzo. The movie spans over 15 years and did a really good time of showing what it was like to live in Spain during the time period. (late 1700s)  I'm a little rusty on my history of the time period, but I'm pretty sure there were some events that were at the wrong time, but despite that I still ended up really liking the movie. The only thing I really didn't like was the ending-it was a bit far fetched, even for me.

I'm not sure how to say more without spoiling the entire movie. I highly recommend this movie to everyone, even if you're not an art or history lover. Natalie Portman did a fabulous job in this movie, and it's probably her best role to date. I'm almost tempted to find out more about Goya.

I want to thank Heidenkind  for having this challenge. It really made me read outside my normal genres. psst...Heidenkind has had a name change to Truth, Beauty Freedom &  Books-check out her blogs new look!