Saturday, January 16, 2010

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

This book is one of those books where people on twitter fight over the hero. Whenever Barrons name from Karen Marie Monings Fever series is brought up, it always turns into a Bones vs. Barrons fight somehow...so I thought I totally love this book.  I don't know if it was the mood I was in or the fact that I had just finished the totally lovable Chicagoland Vampire Series by Chloe Neill (reviews to be coming shortly!) but I couldn't finish this book. I stopped around page 180. I knew I was in trouble when they got to the love scenes and I was bored by it.
 The Plot:
Catherine "Cat" Crawford is half vampire/half human. She's out for revenge and goes after vampires hoping that one of them can lead her to her loser vampire father who took advantage of her mom and took off for parts unknown. While she's out hunting down vampires, she runs into a vampire bounty hunter named Bones who captures her. She starts to train and form a partnership with him in order to track down her father.



My Thoughts:
 I found Cat to be totally unlikable. At first I thought maybe I didn't like the book because of the way the author protrayed small town Ohioans-of which I'm one of. (Contrary to popular belief  we're not all rednecks.) But, no that wasn't it. Then I thought it was perhaps because she had made Cat too tough to be likable. But that wasn't it either. While Bones was a bit of an ass in the beginning and the only adjective he seemed to know was "blimey" I knew that wasn't the reason I didn't like it either.  Then it hit me as to why I was having trouble with the book. The plot just seemed to be all over the place. The father story line wasn't really brought up at all, and it seemed to go in a completely different direction. It might have all come together at the end of the book, so I flipped to the end of the book and read the last chapter-and still wasn't captivated by the drama going on. I guess I'm just too much of a Barrons and Team Ethan girl to let Bones into my heart...

Swoonworthy Meter: Low
Sigh Meter: Low (Ducks to avoid being hit by flying debris..)
Action Meter: High
Dead Body Count: Lost Count