Thursday, October 1, 2009

Half Read books

Don't you hate it when you're unable to finish a book-no matter how bad it might be? This month I had way too many abandoned books. I think most of the fault was mine, and not the authors. Here are a list of books that I tried and (failed) to read in September:

1. The Chocolate Lovers Club by Carole Matthews

This chick lit book had all the right ingredients for a good read: it had a cute cover, it was set in England and it was about women who love chocolate. I only made it 100 or so pages into the book, so maybe it's not fair to judge this book-but I will. The story is about Lucy, Nadia, Autumn and Chantal. They all met at their favorite Chocolate/coffee like shop: Chocolate Heaven. They are all different, but their love of chocolate brings them together. Whenever there is an emergency they text: Chocolate emergency and they all drop everything and meet at Chocolate Heaven to discuss their woes. The chocolate thing got old fast. I swear that every other sentence had to do with their love of chocolate. I screamed: "I get it already-they like Chocolate!" I couldn't like any of the characters, and for some reason Carole Matthews' books always disappoint me-this was no different.

2. Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs-


I tried to read this one because I heard such great thing about it's sequel: The Hunting Ground. This tells the story of Anna, who never knew werewolves existed until she was attacked by one and became one. After spending 3 years at the bottom of the pack, it's discovered she's a powerful Omega wolf-meaning she doesn't have to take anyone's crap. Once it's discovered she's an Omega, another clans chieftain son falls for her, and drops her loser Chicago pack and moves to Montana. I'm not sure what happens to her, because that's as far as I made it. I blame my inability to finish this one because I had just finished Mr. Darcy, Vampyre and it was just too much paranormal love in one week. I plan on trying to read this again.

3. Nefertiti by Michelle Moran-



I attempted this book because so many blogs had such great things to say about her latest novel, The Heretic Queen and when I discovered that there were other books that came before that one, I decided to give the first book a try. I also love books about Ancient Egypt and the story of how she got inspiration to write the novels after visiting Nefertiti's grave was kind of cool. Unfortunately I couldn't get past the first chapter. What can I say? I can be a picky reader-if I'm not grabbed immediately I sometimes give up on the book.

There were a few more books that I didn't finish-but this post is already too long. (Why can't I ever seem to write short posts???)

An award:
I was given the Honest Scrap award by Heather at Gofita's Pages and Velvet and vvb32 Reads. Thank you both!


This is the Honest Scrap award. It is for those bloggers who write from the heart. The rules are to pass it along to seven bloggers and then list 10 honest things about myself. Here are those deserving of this honor, bloggers who write from the heart and touch me because of it.
As Velvet put it this goes to my usual blomies and honestly-you don't have to do anything with it, just know I appreciate your blogs:

1. Deb from Book Magic
2. KC from Smokin' Hot Books
3. Andrea at The Little Bookworm
4. Tasha from Heidenkind's Hideaway
5. Patti from A Book Addict
6. Heather from Book Obsessed

10 things about me:

1. I love Coca Cola
2. I have a crush on Joshua Gates from Destination Truth on the Sci Fi Channel
3. I still watch Survivor and The Amazing Race
4. I love The Hills. I miss LC-the show just isn't the same without her.
5. I think I might have a reality show addication. :)
6. I've lived in Arizona, Vermont, and Illinois before settling back in Ohio
7. I miss Julie Garwood writing historicals. I know she has a new one out, but I haven't been able to bring myself to read it yet.
8. I've seen every episode of Stargate SG-1.
9. Torchwood is my current favorite sci-fi show. I own all seasons, including Children of the Earth. :)
10. I watch too much tv