Sunday, October 7, 2012

Author Interview: Rachel Thorne


Please help me welcome author Rachel J. Thorne, author of Last Regress to A Buckeye Girl Reads! 

Alyssa Matthews thought she had an explanation for everything. After all, as a slightly sceptical paranormal investigator that was what she was used to doing; researching, observing and explaining.
So when she began writing a paper about a long forgotten case of death by Spontaneous Human Combustion, she assumed it would be a run-of-the-mill piece. Little did she realise that she was about to be plunged into a situation that would not only force her to question her own sanity, but also her scepticism about the nature of the paranormal.
"Not to mention the dreams that just wouldn’t go away..."
If you are interested in reviewing my novel I can provide you with a copy of the eBook in whichever format you would prefer.








Can you describe the book to us in 10 words or less?
Alyssa Matthews thought everything had an explanation, she was wrong.
 How did you come up with the title of the book?
I was sitting working through my first draft and listening to music one day and one of the songs I was listening to was a track called "Last Exit for the Lost" by Fields of the Nephilim.  In it there is the line "this could be my last regress," and that just seemed to fit so well with what I was writing.  Cain's last regress, his last chance to go back and try to make things right.  I noted it down and played around with other titles but nothing else seemed to sit as well with me as Last Regress and so it stuck.
What was the hardest part of writing the book?
The hardest part was finding the time to write it between everything else that has gone on in my life (working etc.)  It hasn't been until the last few months when my health hasn't been 100 percent and I've been forced to slow down, that I've really had time to focus on writing.  I suppose writing is my silver lining!
Did you feel like you were becoming one of the characters as you wrote the story?
Not really, I do try to remain impartial when I'm writing so that I can write all my characters equally and not show any favouritism towards any particular character. 
What was the inspiration behind the story?
As with most of my stories it was something that came to me when I was daydreaming whilst listening to some music.  I came up with a basic storyline, scribbled it down and it developed from there.  Almost everything I write comes from daydreams or dreams.
6. Did a lot of research go into writing the book?
A heck of lot of research went into it, so much so that the research took over and the book got put on the backburner for quite some time!  I decided that a good way to do research for the character of a paranormal investigator would be to go on a ghost hunt.  The result of this was that I got completely hooked on ghost hunting, wound up helping to form a paranormal investigation team, and spent many years travelling all over the UK investigating.  It did help with the book though.

Author Bio:
Rachael J. Thorne is trying to make it in the world as an indie author between tending her garden and being a geek!

She lives in Essex, UK with her husband and crazy dog.

LAST REGRESS is her first novel and she is currently working on her second, RUNNING FOR A LIFE.





Where to find the Rachel:

Buy Links: Amazon